Friday 12 March 2010

Story time!

Firstly, to my dedicated Followers, I love you. I put you in the same box as olives and ADBC and Mountain Ash. I thank you, and your aforementioned contemporaries, for giving me focus and keeping me sane.
I could flood you with MS Paint masterpieces. However since Melbourne has recently been witness to such a hydrological event that the Enviros have grown training wheels to keep themselves upright whilst pondering the causes, implications and crop evapotranspiration coefficients of The Great Flood, I will instead divulge a story of Jacqui in Glasgow. It's a story of Lloydy: Living. No trips to the countryside. No uncovering of treasure (how good was the lego man???!!!). Just buying food and walking on the footpath and such.
It's story time, where I tell you about what I have done in the past few days and you can get an insight into what an average day is like. No pics. It's a dry one. Then give yourself a pat on the back for reading this far, and know that you keep me keepin' on as much as the ten pound slabs of Tennents Velvet do.

Right. March.
Monday first of March was coincidentally the first day of Spring in the Northern Hemisphere and the first day the sun tickled the thermostat over 5 degrees. Naturally the alignment of these important events could not pass by without making an offering of thanks to the Tucker God. An impromptu 'bbq' was called and attendance was mandatory for the Soothers (those who originally resided in the Southern Hemisphere). The Scandi's represented too, as did the Shetland Massiv' of Lyall and Ben. Sourcing sausages from the butcher was an experience. Here in Glasgow a 'sausage' is a rectangular slab of sausage-ish meat about an inch thick. Alias also includes 'square sausage'. A sausage, my dear Soothy Followers, as we know it, has some other name which escapes me now... but I think is something like a 'fenk sausage'. Anyway, Short fenk sausies are only one pound fourty a kilo. Nice. Fenkies under the grill was a bit of a push- but we all colluded and called it a bbq none the less.

Wednesday the third was a great day in the history of Scottish sport. Friendly game of Czech V Scotland, at a big ol' stadium in Mount Florida. Footy! Pie! Footy! Pie! I didn't get a pie. sadface. 26 000 bums on seats apparently. More than the collective population of the Shetland Isles. And half the stadium was empty. Final score: Scotland 1, Czech 0. Getting the train there and having some ales at the nearest pub beforehand was almost more fun. No drinking at football matches in Scotland. They're a bit fucked up over football, and even more so over boozing. So the two don't go together. We flew St Andrew's cross high. Jess and Phil got a hotdog. Lyall drank a cup of Bisto (pretty much watered down gravy). We sung 1000 miles.

Saturday night was a good on'. Essay essay essay for the previous 3 days, so at about 9pm I closed my books and opened some vino. Met the gang at Nice n' Sleazy on Sauchiehall Street. Since everyone likes playing the Equivalents game (including me) Sauchiehall Street is like a Swanston Street in that it leads right in and up through to the main bit of town. But it has heaps of pubs and bars and clubs and take away shops and some big concert venues at the outer end (west end of Sauchiehall St- closest to me!). Sleazy's is like Ding Dong? I think so...
Phil, Trond and Ben had been at a whisky tasting. Jess, Niki and Gowri had been to see Passion Pit. Lyall just happened to be there, as was his friend Gen and a heap of the Shetland boys. Pretty much everyone. It was great. Advertised as a 60s night, it was more a mongrel of Indie, Rock n Roll, Pop, Dance and about 2 Chuck Berry songs. Dance we did though. Then I had the most amazing Cheeseburger of my life from one of those caravan-portable things that you can't gaze directly at during the day without being turned to either a pillar of salt or a filthy civil engineering student with bad hair and bad humour. The van was in the perfect position to catch all the drunks rolling home after their Sauchiehall St adventures. The pattie came out of a deep bucket, already cooked. Slapped a piece of orange cheese on it and gave it a 55 second warm up on the hot plate, then BAM into a crispy white bap roll bun. Gave it a little sauce lovin' (tomato and mustard). Heaven. In the form of a 1.70 Cheeseburger.

We're getting a bit long. Apologies.
I went to my Celtic Civilisations lecture on Monday and learnt about 19th and early 20th century Welsh literature (they got big into radio plays). Met Lily for dinner and invited My Beau- who shall from now on be known as Mach Frequency for reasons I cannot explain. 3 for dinner at amazing chinese restaraunt. Glaswegian comedy with Mach Frequency. Pillow duty.
Most amazing, old school, fun, delicious, spoilt, other superlatives, dinner date of my life on Tuesday. I am one lucky girl, dear Followers! Nice one.
Oo- got an Espresso Martini made for us and it was as good if not better than Prudence. Yep. I said it. I think better.
Wed. A bit of uni. Met 'the gang' for pints at the student union. (here in the UK the student unions actually do things for their members like have amazing places to hangout with multiple floor venues housing cafes and bars and stages for sweet bands and pubs and a bottle-o and stationary and snacks etc. Glasgow uni has 2 unions, aswell. double the YEH). Had Jess over and cooked steak and brussel sprouts and shot the breeze. Easy evening.
Thursday- today- Jess' birthday!! (happy birthday Jess) A geelong girl, she is a total babe, really fun to hang with, she likes Eddy Current and now UV Race, easy going, funny. good chick. Rose early to get round to Mach Frequency's to pick up a muffin tray, then off to class for a bit, then lunch with Jess and the gang at a nice restaraunt/cafe, then off to Morrison's (standard biggish supermarket, closest one to me here in Partick) for baking goods. Now I must begin flexing my culinary muscles and attempt things of good niceness (fig and walnut; dark choc and coffee: cupcakes) for Jess' birthday dinner tonight around the corner at Arttu's flat.

That's a bit of what I did. Long one. Good by you for sticking through the drivel. I'd give you a cupcake if you were here. PS Vinnie i saw your penning. that was me! Shucks. Is it too much to ask for you to play some Patti Smith for me? If you're looking for some content for the next show.

2 comments: