Monday 5 July 2010

Four marvels of Florence

As Jess caught those cheeky Zs we'd foregone in the morning in order to avoid queues and sweltering heat, I went for a solo stroll around Firenze. No camera, no money, no map or idea of where I was going. A promenade in Florence.

Just after eight thirty. Still quite warm- about 32 degrees but with a slight (and much anticipated) breeze.

The sun was setting.
Marvel one.
It was enormous, perched between the roof tops and just above the horizon. Blood orange red. Fiery red and huge.

I wandered further towards the old town and the river. I cut through piazzas I hadn't seen. There were people huddled around televisions in bars watching the Germany Argentina match and synchronous cheers echoed down the narrow streets as various crowds in various bars and restaurants watched the beating unfold. I made it down to the river, further downstream than the Ponte Vecchio. I crossed the river and headed to a weir I could see. It was set at a gradient to the river so the water was flowing deepest over the left side and gradually became shallow and was damed up from about half way across the river. On the side where the weir was higher than the water level the concrete of the weir was exposed and people were sitting out on the weir watching the sun set and drinking from bottles of wine.
Marvel two.
As I looked across the weir and the river towards the domes and towers of the city the street lamps all came on. The reflection of the lamps on the water was magical. All of a sudden the buildings became highlighted and the water was shimmering. Very beautiful.

When the street lights come on I took that as my cue to head back to Jess and the hostel. As I cut through the old streets, past gelato stores, bars, leather and fashion shops closed for the day I heard the sound of music in the distance. I followed my ears and ended up in a square with big columned walls. A heavy crowd had formed around the music. It was a brass band with drums and a very funky tune. I got closer and as they finished a swinging big number I recognised the trombone player as the guy I'd spoken to on the beach in Barcelona. (Did I tell you about that? The travelling brass band playing for free on the beach during the fireworks of the San Juan midsummer festival in Barcelona?)
Marvellous!
They were so fun. Molte bueno! The What Cheer? brigade. The trombone player told me they'd finished their business in the Basque country where they'd been invited to compete in a world champs of brass bands. They'd won first place and popular vote. Legends!

I wore a smile as big as the gelati I'd had earlier that day.
And then, as I turned a corner, in my path stood an old fashioned carousel. Marvel four. Lit up in the middle of the piazza. No music, but spinning around and glowing. There weren't many people about so I don't understand why it was there, or why it was still turning. But it was beautiful.

A marvellous promenade through the streets of Florence. Gorgeous city.




To Venice tomorrow.
Today was a long one- a tour of Siena and Tuscany and the Chianti region (yes, it's where Chianti red wine comes from). We did some wine tastings and ate some very nice Tuscan tucker. Nicest white I've ever had. And a beautiful Chianti red where the old bloke who ran the winery turned up in a flashy sports car (he was about 70) in what looked like pyjamas with a cigar hanging out his mouth. We exchanged brief words, but I think he liked me, because I was one of the few who got a second helping. He made sure I got the first glass of the second lot :)

Good night lovelies. Thought a lot about my wonderful new friends I've made and those I'll see soon back in Australia on my solo Firenze spin. Much love to you. x

No comments:

Post a Comment