Tuesday 25 May 2010

transitions and endinburgh

I seem to be involved in a perpetual state of transition at the moment.
People coming, people going; milestones; seasons turning...

It's a funny feeling because my entire time here in Glasgow has been held at ransom by the countdown of my return. I have always felt my time here to be a surreal reality- some kind of hiccup in my normal life. Some kind of mistake- how the hell is it legit' that I get to come to the other side of the world, make such amazing new friends, see such beautiful and interesting scenes and get 'credit' for 'attending' university? I know I am returning to normal/usual life and that makes everything here seem strange/unusual. But things are definitely changing. Which means there has been some kind of pattern of living that I have slipped into that makes the strange and unusual quite normal... Talking in circles... I'm happy here and now this transition is going on all around me I feel a bit uneasy...

Mum came and went. It was a 30 year gap between visits but she made it back to Scotland and I think she really enjoyed herself. It was a shame about the Ireland trip not working out but we had a lovely trip to Arran (mum took the photos home with her so have no pics to share) and to Edinburgh. We did a tour of the Real Mary King Close in EddieB which was really good. Edinburgh was built UP rather than OUT. When they built the new Royal Exchange building they just cut off 4 stories of houses and closed off the streets and built above it. The old houses and streets are sitting abandoned under the Royal Mile. Amazing. They used to make wall plaster from horse hair (to keep it all together and stick to the wooden walls), water and ash from cremated humans (steady ash supply thanks to The Black Plague). We walked up to Calton Hill, which is on the 'new' side of town and looks out over the Firth of Forth to the north, and the city and Arthur's Seat to the south.
We saw big fluffy bumble bees, Italian tourists (Scuzi!) and a film crew doing a film where the protagonist plays violin. Here is mum explaining the world and all it's appendages to moi. Mum made it back home safe but apparently is badly jet lagged. I am not looking forward to that one.

Ben's little sister Emma turned 21 on Thursday. She is such a gorgeous girl, really nice. I felt very lucky to be involved in her special bday celebrations. There was mother and father and brother Davis, and boyfriend Godron, and Grandma and Grandpa Davis came up from southern England. And me. We went to a Michellin starred restaurant in Edinburgh and were all put up for the night in a hotel. Pretty amazing! And I have never, ever, ever come across food like it.
The restaurant is Kitchin, run by Tom Kitchin (judge on British Master Chef finale if that helps anyone?). The flavours were like nothing I've ever had before. Look at the menu via the link: I had crab for starter, red mullet with garlic gnocci and seared squid for main, and then pistachio soufflé with pistachio ice cream for dessert. Crickey!
So happy 21st to Emma :)

No comments:

Post a Comment